Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 20 - Choosing a topic for my teacher inquiry

Do collaborative tasks increase student engagement and agency in a primary school setting?

Collaboration is an area that I would like to improve in my practice in more ways than one.  Firstly, I would like to give more collaborative opportunities to students to increase engagement and agency.  I am interested in improving my own collaboration skills with colleagues.  Perhaps learning from this teacher inquiry will be beneficial for my practice in both of these areas.

I believe that this topic can be highlighted in all six areas of the Kaupapa Maori approach.  However, there three aspects relate to the topic clearly.
  • Tino Rangatiratanga - The Principle of Self-determination
    Students have meaningful control over their learning through collaborating together.

  • Taonga Tuku Iho - The Principle of Cultural Aspiration
    Students feel safe, respected and their influence when collaborating is valued.

  • Ako Māori - The Principle of Culturally Preferred Pedagogy
    Collaboration projects reflect ako where students can work together and learn from each other.
I look forward to seeing where this inquiry takes me.


Reference List
Kaupapa Māori Research [Web log post]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.katoa.net.nz/kaupapa-maori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 17 - My Reflective Practice

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 18 - Reflecting on changes in my future oriented teaching practice

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 29: Using social online networks in teaching or professional development