Week 32: Reflective practice - Key change in professional practice


Step 1 (What):
While completing the Mind Lab Post Grad course I have noticed several changes in my practice.  I am more aware of the affect my leadership has on followers and I strive to tailor my approach to cater for each teacher’s individual needs.  I have been exposed to many supportive PLN’s and plan to contribute to these on a regular basis.  I have realised the valuable insights that I gain from critically reflecting on my practice using a model.  Blended learning is an approach I would like to explore further.  But the change I would like to discuss today is using evidence to inform my practice, from my teacher inquiry.  My teacher inquiry will be completed as I take on a new opportunity in leadership at school.  The teacher inquiry was about the impact that collaborative teacher planning in a single cell classroom has on student achievement.  This is a change initiative I would like to lead in our school.  I have come to realise that after reflecting on my change initiative has given me confidence to make more of a difference. 

Using evidence to inform teaching and make change reflects the whakamana and whanaungatanga values from Our Code Our Standards (Ministry of Education, 2017).  Whakamana is to provide high quality teaching and leadership and whanaungatanga is to collaborate positively with our colleagues (Ministry of Education, 2017).  Collaborative teacher planning links to the professional learning, professional relationships, design for learning and teaching standards for the teaching profession (Ministry of Education, 2017).

Stage 2 (Now what):

Problem identification
Currently teachers are planning individually for all areas of the curriculum.  Teachers have different strengths and weaknesses and there is a high work load each week to prepare for the next.  Collaborating could benefit student outcomes as expert’s knowledge is shared.
Observation and analysis

I am yet to gather data from a survey, but I have noticed that perhaps the teaching staff do not know what collaboration means.  We tend to share out the work load, which is not working together. Time could also be a barrier to planning collaboratively as it can be difficult to find a time where all teachers are available.  Perhaps having a release day together to do this would be beneficial.

Abstract re conceptualization
The different stakeholders perspectives will be relevant to consider.  How so the students respond to being taught from a collaborative plan? Have parents noticed the difference? How do teachers feel about planning together? Do they have more job satisfaction?

Active experimentation
I have learnt to step back and look at the problem from the outside in and that I do not need to act or respond immediately (
Osterman & Kottkamp, 1993).  Sometimes under pressure I feel that I am expected to react straight away.  I can take time to think about the implications of my actions.

Step 3 (What next):
In the future I would like to develop more of a coaching leadership style.  I am not responsible for solving other people problems.  People can solve their own problems.  Encouraging a solution focused mindset in others is an aspect I consider important in my new leadership role. I plan to find professional development in coaching and will investigate articles and research on it and put my findings into practice.
References
Ministry of Education (2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators.California.Corwin Press, Inc. Retrieved from http://www.itslifejimbutn otasweknowit.org.uk/files

Comments

  1. Hi Kelly

    You make some great points in your blog this week. I totally agree with your point about teachers understanding what collaboration is. one of my colleagues did this for her literature review and we constantly refer back to it. Is what the teachers/students are doing co-operation or collaboration? For example a google slideshow is a co-operative task if we each go away and create our own slides and present each one individually but it instantly changes once we come together to review the work we have done and then discuss it and make changes together. The same can be said about planning. Dropping onto a shared doc any ideas you have about how the learning could be carried out is co-operation but when you take the time at a meeting to discuss what you have dropped on and how it contributes to the learning or get others feedback on how it could be developed or enhanced then it become collaboration. Good luck in your leadership of this - I think clarifying exactly what is what will have to be your first key step. All the best and congratulations on completing MindLab - so proud of all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 17 - My Reflective Practice

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 18 - Reflecting on changes in my future oriented teaching practice

Mind Lab Post Grad: Week 29: Using social online networks in teaching or professional development